Thursday, April 16, 2009

Learning to Ride

I have been trying to get Hannah to learn to ride her back since last fall. I took her training wheels off a couple of times in the fall, but she always asked for them to be put back on after a few minutes of trying. I decided to take them off again a few weeks ago and refused to put them back on. Needless to say she has hardly riden her bike the past few weeks. I helped her ride to the park one day last week, and she "had" it for a moment a few times. I thought it would be a good idea to try again last night after dinner. I was helping Hannah and then realized that she hardly peddles when I am helping her. I explained to her that she has to peddle in order to keep her bike from falling over. Once she really started to peddle, she got it right away and started riding all by herself. When Jonathan saw Hannah riding her bike, he said he wanted to try on her bike. I suggested we take off his training wheel (there was only one on his bike because the other one kept loosening). He was all for it. The first time he tired I could feel that he had his balance, so I let go of him and ran beside him. I had to steady the bike a couple of times, but he did Amazing!!!! He picked it up so fast. It takes him a while to get going sometimes, but he is working really hard at it. We went for a walk this afternoon and Hannah and Jonathan both rode their bikes. Hannah did more riding than Jonathan, and he probably did more trying to ride than riding, but niether of them complained or fell. We went up to IGA, the Drugstore and then back home. I am so excited for both of them. I am really happy that they are able to enjoy this accomplishment together. They are really proud of themselves. When we were getting ready to go outside last night, Hannah asked me to bring the video camera just in case she was able to do it! Cute eh!!!

1 comment:

Canadian Princess said...

how fun!!! another milestone can be checked off the list;)