Sunday, May 11, 2008

Big boy bed

We finally decided to put Benjamin in his "big boy bed" in Jonathan's room. Two Sunday's ago at bedtime, Joel asked him if he wanted to sleep in the bed, and that was it. I was amazed that he actually stayed in bed....he went to sleep without getting up once. Jonathan didn't want him to sleep in "his" room (even though I have been telling him forever that he is going to share his room with Benjamin). I figured that was too easy....I was right. I tried putting Benjamin to bed the next night, and he kept getting out of bed. I put him back in his bed 3 times, and then put him in his crib. He slept most nights in his crib during that week (although I kept starting him off in his bed). Almost every night Jonathan would say "put him in his crib". This past week was a much better week. I think he slept in his bed every night. He will sneak out of his bed once or twice, but he is really good for Joel and will go back to bed without complaining and has fallen asleep. I was really surprised on Wednesday night b/c when I got home late from activity days, they boys came out of their room (Jonathan had a nap earlier in the day, so he didn't fall asleep right away). I put them back in their room and went downstairs. I could hear them playing around upstairs, but we didn't bother them, and eventually they got into their beds and fell asleep. Benjamin came out of his room once tonight, Joel put him back in and that was it. I keep waiting for it to get worse, partially b/c Jonathan was terrible once we moved him to a bed. It took us a good 6 months to get back to the point where we could put him in bed and leave the roo and he would go to sleep ( I used to have to lay outside his room so he could see me, then I would gradually close the door until I could finally close it and sneak away. Then we got to the point where I could just sit outside his door and let him know that I was still there every once and a while......and then finally we could say goodnight and close the door! That was a huge Horray moment :)) I havn't been able to get Benjamin to go down in his bed at nap time, but I can work around that. Eden isn't quite ready to move to the crib, but it is nice to know it will be ready for her.

No comments: