Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's day at the farm

We went to the farm yesterday (finally! the kids have asked me multiple times everyday last week if it was the day we were going to the farm) to celebrate Mother's Day and had a lot of fun. We got there around noon (we stopped on the way to pick up Mum's flowers from a greenhouse I love). Dad was outside so we met the new ponies and then went into the house for lunch. We were just having lunch when the Bremner's arrived. I was surprised that the kids finished their lunches and weren't too distracted by their arrival. I really wanted to take the kids for a walk to the back woods to look for Trilliums (I have tried to show them some along the side of the road a couple of times this week, but I wanted them to have a closer look). Before we were able to go, Jordan called to find out if we were going to come and take a look at his house. Rebekah, Noni and I went while Dad took the kids for a horse ride on Belle.

I havn't been back to Donnie Lutes's house since I babysat for them. I remember thinking that they had a HUGE house when I was younger....but I was surprised to find that it wasn't that big at all. It is amazing how our perspective changes. I probably thought their house was huge b/c I knew that they had money. It was really cute to see Jordan and Shannon in their own space. We had a nice visit with them and then headed back to the farm. By the time we got back, the kids had finished their rides, so they were happy to come for a walk. I havn't walked to the back forest in 10 years (or something like that), so it brought back so many memories of me going back to get the heard, or to look for wild strawberries or my personal favourite, thistle dutie (digging up the thistle plants). We found the trilliums exactly where I remember them being. It was very cool.

It is so nice to see all the cousins playing together. They get along really well. I love being at the farm where they have a little more "open range". They played on the trampoline, but the horses, in the field with the jumps and all over the place.

2 comments:

Canadian Princess said...

thanks for the updates...I'm glad you all had fun at the farm! I don't miss the thistle duty;)

horsecrazy dad said...

I sure love having the families out at the farm. So joyful to hear the happy sounds of my grandchildren happily playing. I not only took the kids for a ride but Joel as well. His first time riding Belle & they got on really well. And I don't remember anyone helping me with thistles but Rachel. Sorry for my bad memory. Dad